Salmon Teriyaki

Tuesday, 30 March 2010

I'm sure there're lots of important things happening around the world, like . . . Ricky Martin coming out.  

Sigh . . . what a waste. 

But they're things I can't do anything about, mostly. So let's talk about things I can, like making a good salmon teriyaki.

Some people don't eat salmon skin but I love it. To me, that's the best part of the fish, whether it's grilled and charred or steamed and slimy.  

Sob! How could Ricky Martin be gay?

Tied in first position with the skin would be the belly, which is soft, tender, and dripping with fat. All good omega-3 fat, of course, that improves brain function.

In fact, my brain has improved so much that I had a brain wave yesterday. Instead of adding sugar to the teriyaki sauce, I added maltose, aka malt sugar.  

NOoºoO! Ricky Martin can't possibly be gay!

It wasn't authentic but I didn't care. As Deng Xiao Ping said, "It doesn't matter whether the cat's white or black, so long as it catches rats!"

I used to make teriyaki sauce with sugar but it was rather thin. And I didn't really like thickened with corn flour.

Ricky Martin is gay?! 

I thought malt sugar would make it, you know, nicely gooey, and I was right. It was gloopy in a way that a sauce thickened with corn flour wasn't.  

Aaaargh!!! It's not fair!

I also liked the balance of sweet and savory better with maltose. It's all very technical, isn't it? Obviously, food science is my forte.

Oh god, what a waste. Ricky Martin is gay.


But I guess it's good that there's one person less living a lie. On that note, I leave you with one of Ricky Martin's greatest songs, Livin' the Crazy Life:


SALMON TERIYAKI
(For 4 persons)

4 pieces salmon, about 150 g each
4 tbsp mirin
4 tbsp sake
4 tbsp Japanese light soya sauce
6 tbsp malt sugar

Heat all ingredients except salmon in a pot till sauce coats the back of a spoon. There should be about 180 ml. Leave till cool. Use 4 tbsp sauce to marinate salmon for 30 minutes. Do not refrigerate. Preheat grill. Remove salmon and wipe off excess marinade. Discard marinade. Place salmon skin side down on a grill tray. Set aside 6 tbsp sauce reserved earlier (to avoid cross contamination). Use the rest for grilling. Brush cut side of salmon lightly with sauce. Grill for 4-5 minutes. Turn over and brush skin side with sauce. Grill for 4-5 minutes till charred. Adjust grilling time to avoid overcooking or undercooking fish. Remove to serving plates. Drizzle with sauce set aside earlier. Serve.

2 comments:

皓云 said...

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.............................................

KT said...

Hi Genevieve



I activate the like/dislike button and, within the hour, you're the first person to leave a comment, asking if I could do it! There you go, done already!

You've become interested in smoked salmon or smoking salmon? I've never tried putting salmon in fried rice, smoked or fresh. I don't think you can fry it like lap cheong, before the rice goes in the wok. It would overcook, and break into very small pieces when you stir the rice (unless you're tossing all the way like a chef?). Maybe you should add it towards the end, like with flaked crabmeat?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Salmon fried rice is a bit out of my league. Ikan bilis is more my kinda thing. ;-)

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...